Step by step

By now I have come to expect the unexpected, especially when it comes to my work. I remember a couple years ago, at 10 o'clock on a Saturday night, being asked to jump in the truck and drive 16 hours to Minnesota for a month long job. I went. Last year's Chilean adventure proved that I could get a passport in 48 hours. And who could forget going from the penthouse to the outhouse in Tennessee last year. But the last 30 hours or so have been a real roller coaster ride, and I think it is just starting. I have been awaiting test results from an MRI I had about 2 weeks ago. With each passing day the anxiousness wore off a little more, as I figured if they had found anything serious they would have called me in right? So when my phone rang last night and I was asked to jump on a plane to head to Seattle, I was all over it. I love that area, and went to bed last night thinking about Pike Place and The Space Needle. Not only that, but with things here feeling a bit overwhelming, I was looking forward to the time away. I got to the airport at noon for my 1:30 flight. I was delighted to see no one in the security line but myself, and within 10 minutes of being in the terminal I was headed to Emerils for lunch, my pre flight traditional meal. As I approached the restaurant, my phone rang. And the timing couldn't have been worse. On the other end was my doctor. He informed me that the mass behind my left eye is not scar tissue. And while he cannot tell me exactly what it is, he did say he wanted me to see a neurosurgeon ASAP. What? I am getting on a plane. I may be gone a month! I cannot see a neurosurgeon. I asked if I could travel, and he said i could. But he also said when the brain doctor scheduled me, I needed to be there. And he said he really didn't want me to wait a month. Or even a week. I hung up the phone and sat in shock for a few minutes. My thoughts were going 1000 different ways. I got myself together and emailed work, who told me to get my checked bag and not get on the plane. Step one out of the way. I called Bethany and asked her to come back and get me (she had dropped me off there) and she headed out. Step two down. I texted Purple, who immediately went to work trying to find the best neuro I could see and when they are available. Steps 3-6 down. Yet I still felt as though I was having an anxiety attack. I arrived back at home and started to unpack. I wound up sitting on my bed, racking my brain, when my phone rang. There was Purple, ready to take my mind off things. She came over and we went out running errands. As she drove through the unseasonable snow storm that was blanketing the ground, we talked. Some about the issue at hand, some about other everyday life things, and some about nothing at all. But she had me smiling and laughing, which is exactly what I needed at that moment. She also was burning up the phone continuing to find out more about the condition and what the next steps should be. I returned home about 5:30 and Miss B was there a few minutes later. As Purple said good night and began her hour long trek home, B and I had a few drinks and tried to push the bad news away for a little while. The evening was an adventure, with us winding up hot tub jacking her friends back deck and laughing til we cried. It was a great night and again, Bethany knew how to ease my mind by distracting it, if only for the evening. I am not sure what happens tomorrow. I am hopeful the referral comes quick and we can get in front of this and get a game plan. But that will only happen one step at a time. I am blessed to have people in my life who know exactly what I need at any given moment. Today both Bethany and Purple were amazing in that way, and I cannot thank either of them enough. I had a lot of other calls and texts from people today that I did not get back to. Please understand that today was such a roller coaster and I just needed to stop and wrap my head around things before I could tell anyone else what was happening. I will keep the blog and facebook updated as I know more. I ask for your prayers and understanding. Good Night All.........................


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

My 9/11 memory

Headed Home