A little more than a fender bender

It's hard for me to believe that it has been almost two weeks since I last posted a blog on here. Seems like just yesterday I was telling the tale of a fender bender while I was at work. Now here we are 13 days later and I wonder where the time has gone. So I guess a recap is in order

I started a vacation on March 1, 2011. With the project being all but complete, I needed to take a week to re-charge my batteries. The week, however, has been pretty eventful. To start, Purple has decided to make a move back to her hometown, about 50 miles from where she lives now. She found the perfect house for her and the girls. Filled with character and charm, it has her name written all over it. So I have made several trips to her new home, delivering boxes and small furniture to help set up the bog move that will occur next weekend.

Thursday the 3rd was my birthday, and it came and went without a lot of fanfare. Just like I like it lol. Calls from family and messages from friends highlighted a day that saw me receive my traditional red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and ended with me having a few Miller Lites. It was a good day overall,

Friday I went out to run some errands before going to Angel's to pick up the guys for my scheduled weekend with them. I decided to get Ben first, as I try to find one on one time for each of them, and this was a perfect opportunity to do just that. He had just left school for the day when I picked him up shortly before 3. As we drove we talked about his day and what he had learned in school, and I showed him different building in downtown Columbus as we drove on the expressway through the heart of the city. It was there that I first noticed what would change the course of the day and weekend for him and myself.

An eighteen wheeler not more than 100 feet in front of me began to jack knife when another motorist cut it off in traffic. As I watched this enormous vehicle turn sideways in front of me, everything seemed to be in slow motion. I simultaneously stood on the brakes and gripped the steering wheel, sure that I was going to have to go around or under him. Thank goodness the clown car has an excellent braking system and I got to a complete stop before reaching the wrecking tractor trailer. However the lady driving behind me did not stop nor did she attempt to slow down. And for the second time in two weeks, I was rear ended by another vehicle. Only this one was much more serious.

I don't remember much about the accident scene. I know I checked on Ben, whose back was hurting, and tried to make it to the other driver. Her car was smoking and clearly a total loss. I was having issues walking and couldn't turn my neck or use my left arm. My son and I were both transported via life squad to a local hospital. By good fortune it was the same hospital where a friend works, and I was able to hand Ben off to her until his mom could arrive. I was strapped to a back board and in a neck brace. It was scary as they wheeled me in because I hurt all over, throbbing pain in my stomach, back, neck, and shoulder. I remained in the ER for several hours as they ran tests on me to check if anything was broken or out of place. Finally they allowed me to move around a bit and eventually let me leave with strict follow up instructions. I still have several tests they want to run on me this week and a doctor's appointment Thursday. As I write this, I still am very sore and continue to have issues using my left arm. Ben, on the other hand, was treated and released immediately, and he is doing fine.

It took me almost 38 years to be involved in my first accident. Now I have been in two in a short amount of time. And though I am not very superstitious, my Uncle reminded me that bad things happen in threes. So I am driving a little more timidly than I ever have before.

There is plenty more to tell about the last couple weeks, but I need to call turn in. I promise I will not take two weeks to blog again. Good Night All............................


Popular posts from this blog

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

My 9/11 memory

Headed Home