If you build it, he will come

20 years ago the movie Field of Dreams graced us with one of the classic lines from the 80's. If you build it, he will come. It was based upon the theory that of you believe in something strongly enough, then it will become reality. The romantic in me always subscribed to the theory, thinking that if you wanted something so much and believed in it, then it would happen. It was my favorite movie, right up until I saw Walk the Line. Sorry, but Ray Kinsella and Shoeless Joe have nothing on Johnny and June. But I always thought that if you believed in the magic, it would happen.

I have learned recently that just because you build it, it doesn't mean anything or anyone is going to come. I have laid the foundation more than once, only to see it washed away by someones fear or lack of faith. They turn away and I am the one left with a baseball field in the middle of the corn field. I am the one wondering what the heck was I thinking.

Of course a more evident example is Miss Bethany's. 4 years of work, only to watch it go away. Now she is left wondering why she even listened to the voice at all? And she has no answer.

Those types of leaps of faith are best reserved for Hollywood movie magic. In real life there is no magic, no special voice to guide, and no idea of what might happen should you step out onto that branch. My knowledge of that now leaves me unwilling to even step onto it, much less put myself in any harms way. Better to leave it a cornfield than plow through.

Today was my youngest's 7th birthday. Happy Birthday to my son Tanner!

There is that better?:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God