The Best Week of the Year

Today I begin the best week of my year. It has been that way for the last few years, dating back to 2007. That was the first year that my ex-wife went on  vacation with her family, a trip I was not invited to participate in. No loss for me, though, as I took vacation and spent the time with my boys. After the divorce, the week became even more special as having them full time, even for only a few days, is awesome. We play and laugh and go on adventures and it is truly a glimpse of how I wish was all the time.

Not that life is bad, mind you. In fact, it is hard for me to remember a time when I was happier. While people are coming and going (more the latter) in my life, and I am beginning a new chapter in my career, the waters still seem to be calm. I can only attribute that to where I find myself in life and, more importantly, who is beside me. And this will be the first time that she will be with me as my guys stay come home for this week. Its funny as I sat trying to figure out our game plan, she already had a list of things we could do put together. From camping to COSI, to renaissance festival and more, she was speaking my language. Its going to be a good week.

I went back this morning and looked at my blog from a year ago today. An unpublished post full of self doubt,   disappointment and profanity, it is hard to recognize that guy from where I am today. But the common theme of this blog is that life is fluid, changing everyday. People who I thought would be in my life forever are gone. Things that I wanted and wished for and stayed up at night thinking about a year ago now are just file for the memory bank, with a "what if" asterisk beside them. That doesn't make them unimportant, or a regret, just now more recognizable as a step along the path rather than the destination. Each one of those steps, painful or joyous, has led me to the happiness I experience today. And who knows where I will be when I read this very blog next year.

Either way, the next week or so will be the best week of the year.

Have a great day everyone............

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God