Lose Yourself in the Moment

I am excited this morning. And nervous. And cautiously optimistic. What we are talking about here is the realization of a dream. A pipe dream that started with two friends, closer than brothers, sitting around bouncing ideas off of each other. Ideas flowed that day and have continued to form as we marched to the place we are today. And now, with hope in one hand and faith in the other, we await a meeting that could change our lives, our families lives, and our legacy forever.

I can be a head in the clouds guy. While I take my job very seriously, I often daydream about a better life for Tiffany, the boys, and myself. The zest I have for life, and wanting to experience as much of it as possible, has never taken a backseat to my career. Don't get me wrong, it is a great feeling to take someone's hand, look them in the eye, and tell them you are going to make it better after the flames are out and all that is left is the charred remains of a life they had built. Out of the ash we find ways to restore some of that to them, and give them back their memories. Yes, I take a great deal of pride in my work. However, at the end of the day it is just that. Work.

This job, this career is merely a vehicle for me to be able to put food on the table, keep a roof over our heads, and finance the raising and educating of three boys who have my last name. That is job one. That is why I spend 60-70 hours a week at Mammoth Restoration. All the perks are just gravy.

I look around this office and see all the things a restoration company should have. A dozen trucks to transport our people and equipment to our clients homes or businesses. A suite of offices to house the management of the company. A cleaning station to handle our clients property. This is a big warehouse. A big company. And as we have transitioned to Mammoth Restoration, it is destined to get bigger.

This is his dream. My boss, Matt Farris, started this deal 7 years ago with an idea and a Honda Accord. He built this from the ground up, and I often tell him that 7 years ago, this was a pipe dream for him. Now that he has achieved this much, there is no limit to what he can do. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him because of that, and look forward to see what happens next here too. But, at the end of the day, it is still a job. Which brings me full circle.

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment. Would you capture it or just let it slip" - Eminem

That is where we stand today, me and my brother Ralph. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up as I realize that for all the talk, all the head in the clouds moments, all the dreaming I have done through the years, we are right there. It is past the point of being just a dream, just an idea. It is past the point that we should see who we can talk to to get the ball rolling. That ball is rolling and that person we need to talk to just asked for a meeting with us.

My stomach is in knots. I am caught in a mix of emotions, from excited to scared to death, from head in the clouds to approach with caution. I need time. We need time. To gather the thoughts and ideas and make sure we are clear and concise. Yet why can't it happen today, now, the anticipation is killing me. I dreamed last night about this meeting, these ideas, the future. I woke up telling myself to relax and not get my hopes up, that this is just a shot. Yet my faith in Ralph, and in me, and in our ideas and the burning in my belly for this makes it impossible to stand down.

Every successful entity you have ever seen in life started with a moment just like this. People knocking on doors hoping for one to open and give them a chance. Ralph and I have been knocking for awhile now. And someone just answered. This is our chance. To bust that door down and walk through the opening into a better life for all of us.

This is Day # 73. Nope, not quitting my job, as I am sure I will be asked. Only excited about an opportunity placed in front of me and what  may come of it. As I look forward to that meeting, I know it is good to be me.

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment. Would you capture it or just let it slip" - Eminem

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God