The McDonald's chain of love

Ever since my little health scare a couple weeks back, I have been making a real effort to eat better. My morning routine of McDonald's sausage mcmuffins and hash browns has been replace with granola bars and bananas. Thurman Burgers and Raising Cane's have given way to Subway for lunch nearly every day. Eating healthy on the go is not an easy task, as most places are either healthy or cheap and easy. But I am sticking to the plan as much as possible, fearing the consequences of not making major changes.

Friday was a busy day. Busier than normal, in fact. With it being my last day before taking my final week of vacation for the year, I had to not only make sure everything ran smoothly that day, but also for the next 9 days as well. We are a 24/7, 365 company, and I need to make sure all contingencies are covered for work at 3 am on a Sunday as well as 3 pm on a Tuesday. That's the job, and I love it. Unfortunately, for yesterday, that meant breaking my new found dedication to my health for lunch, and I am glad I did.

I had just finished a meeting at the office with the boss and couple of project managers. Shuffling some responsibilities to make things flow better, we had spent longer than expected explaining the new procedures to these guys. At 11:15 I set off for a meeting in Marysville with a client, and that meant lunch on the road. I was not sure how long this meeting was going to last and the granola bar I had at 5:30 am was not nearly enough to hold me over til 2 or 3 pm.

Subway is great, but it is not exactly conducive to eating on the go. And it is tough to eat a salad with a fork while driving. So I decided cheap and easy would rule the day, and hit McDonald's. I ordered as healthy a lunch as I could think of, and pulled up to the drive through window to pay. to my surprise, the cashier then said something that made my day.

As I handed her my money, she said "No need for all of that, the lady in front of you already paid for yours". I squinted hard at the silver Honda at the next window, but did not recognize the woman behind the wheel. She just peeked her head out, waved, and said  "God Bless You." Completely caught off guard, I handed the money back to the cashier and told her that I wanted to pay for the next car in line.

 All of the sudden I was totally caught up in this random act of kindness, and watched intently as I picked up my food to see if the lady in the car behind me gave the cashier money. If so, then that would mean that she had done the same thing I did. When she handed her credit card through the window, I waved and yelled out the window "God Bless you!" She waved back.

I was telling Ben about it last evening, and he told me it was called a "Chain of Love". Makes sense. Clay Walker had a song of the same title a few years ago, with the same concept. Good Karma. What goes around comes around. I was happy to hear this was the new fad, which got its start at Starbucks. I was also excited as my middle son explained the concept and how cool it was. Another proud Dad moment. And it made me wonder if the lady in Silver Honda started the chain yesterday, or if she was caught up just like I was. Either way, whoever she is, and whoever started it, thanks.

Day # 544. No matter where I go or what I do in life, I will never forget the day that a stranger in a McDonald's drive through pulled me into a Chain of Love. It is great to be me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God