Nanu nanu and a morning blessing

I admit it, I have a morning routine.  I find it is easier to have things planned out than to fly by the seat of my pants. Some of that has to do with getting older, while a bigger part is Little Red's influence in my life. When we met, I was a hit-the-snooze-button-23-times-then-fall- out-of-bed-and-stumble-into-work-and-wake-up-about-10-kind-of-guy. Now, I am up when Siri starts singing her song at exactly 5:30 am. I am in the shower by 5:40, have the bed made by 6:04 and am out the door by 6:10. As I am driving the short distance to the office, I drink my coffee. I eat a banana and 2 granola bars. And I talk to God.

I generally thank him for the blessings in my life. I ask him for guidance and grace and understanding and compassion as I go through my day. I ask him to help me keep a closer walk with him, and I pray for a million other things I don't wish to put on this blog. In the background, though, I always have on The River, our local radio station that plays the likes of 3rd Day, Newboys, Mandisa, Casting Crowns, and Sidewalk Prophets.  And through this music, I often feel like God speaks back to me. This morning was no exception, but I will get to that in a moment.

I am not a church going, bible thumping, hell fire and brimstone type of guy. Those people all have their own place within the body of Christ. But I am more of the be grateful for the blessings bestowed on me and try to witness to people through stories of my successes and, more to the point, my failures. I have a lot to be grateful for with Tiffany and my boys and family and my job and my team and so on. But I had more blessings to count when I was lost and alone and just a little drunk for about 2 years after my Mom died. In those nights, through every tear and at the bottom of every bottle, God was there. The music would echo through the hurt and keep me going. That was him leading me here. And I think that I am the luckiest guy on Earth because of it.

This morning, one of my prayers was for my beautiful wife. With her heart condition worsening, Friday is her last day at work. It is going to be difficult not only from a financial standpoint, but on a multitude of other levels as well. As I asked God for patience and a clear mind as we approach that day, The song Blessings by Laura Story came over the car speakers. And without getting into more detail than I need to, I will only tell you that my fears and worries and anxieties were immediately quelled. As always, He was right on time. As always, he had to remind me that he has a plan. 

Yesterday, the world lost an entertainment icon as Robin Williams passed away. The stories of his life and death have, of course, flooded the internet. So I do not need to go into a full on diatribe about how wonderful he was in so many movies and moments. Nor do I need to label or blame him for his darkest moment. I can only say that I am grateful. For the side hurting, hard time catching my breath laughs that he provided all of us through the years. So I will simply say thank you, Genie. You made the world a better place, and it will never be the same. Nanu Nanu. 

Day # 526. Still a ton to write about, but out of time tonight. It is good to be me.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God