Airing of Grievances

I am not sure if it is because I am getting older and more crotchety, or if the world really is going crazy. However, I have seen and heard a lot of things recently that have struck me a s bizarre. So, in the spirit of the Seinfeld holiday Festivus, here is the first post of my "Airing of Grievances"

1.) I am a pretty staunch gun rights supporter. Although I do not actually own a firearm, my Grandfather has been a great example of responsible gun ownership. I believe the right to bear arms is incredibly important, and no one should be able to take that right away.

That being said, under what circumstances was it ok to have an Uzi in the hands of a 9 year old girl? Even in the most controlled environment, that automatic weapon creates such a kick  with each shot that even the most skilled marksmen with strong muscle tone have problems controlling it when it is fired.

As gun rights activists, we make the plea of common sense to those who want to curb or eliminate gun ownership. Make guns illegal and only those who don't care about the law will have them. That is common sense. But so is not taking your 9 year old to a shooting range to fire one of the worlds most powerful handheld weapons. Now that little girl has to live with the fact that she took someone's life for the rest of hers. Tragic end to a story that never should have taken place in the first place.

2.) Ray Rice of the Baltimore Ravens sucker punched his fiance in an elevator in Las Vegas. He then grabbed her by the hair as she was unconscious and dragged her out when the doors opened. The result? He received a two game suspension from the league that claims to be supportive of women's causes. Their explanation was that we will never know the full story. I do not know about you, but I was raised that under no circumstances should you ever lay hands on a woman. Ever. Not even if she is hitting you, which this woman was not. So what else could there be to know? Really think you got that wrong NFL.

 However.....

Josh Gordon of the Browns (BTW, I am not a Browns OR Ravens fan. So you know, I hate them both equally) received a one year suspension for testing positive for marijuana. Did he deserve that? Yes. Because that is the agreed upon punishment between his union and the league, even though pot is a legal substance in 5 states, two of which it is for recreational purposes. ( Now would be a good time to point out that I also strongly believe that it should be legal, even though I have only smoked once in my life and hated it). I am simply bewildered how a positive marijuana test is a year long ban, but beating your significant other unconscious is just a couple of games. With that logic, Aaron Hernandez should be back week one after the 3 murders he committed. Nice message you are sending, Roger Goodell.

3.) Josh Shaw - If you are going to run from the police and jump off the balcony, then lie to your USC coaches, team mates, and the world about how you hurt your ankles, maybe try to be a little less over the top next time. Claiming the reason you are limping is because you jumped off the balcony to save your 7 year old nephew from drowning probably was not the smartest move. After all, in that scenario, you are a hero. You saved a life, right? Why wouldn't the media want to talk to you and the boy who can thank you for the very fact he is breathing. Making yourself out to be a hero when it seems it was the exact opposite situation is mind boggling. Remember Josh, a good liar includes details. A better liar does not.

The last one isn't necessarily bizarre, but it has to be said anyway.

4.) Michael Sam - I don't care if you are straight. I could care less if you are gay. Your shower habits are none of my concern, and I really have no rooting interest in whether you make the St. Louis Rams or not. However, when you sacked Johnny Manziel in the preseason game the other day, then stood over him and made his own money sign immediately after, you became the recipient of my undying respect. Thanks for putting Johnny sidelines on his ass.

I am sure more bizarre things happened in the world this week. Feel free to comment about them below.

Day # 542. Prayers said for that instructor's family and little girl in Arizona.

So glad I am not Josh Shaw right now. Or Johnny sidelines. Or Ray Rice's fiance.

It is good to be me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God