What are you proud of?

I am going to be real open here about something. I have been struggling recently. Mostly an internal struggle, with outside influences. I will spare you the details because we don't have that kind of time. But with the blessings and the miracles my family has seen over the past few years, dealing with curve balls the way they have been coming for the last few months has made my strong and steady way of life a little....no, a lot....wobbly at times. Not complaining or asking for help. Just stating facts to set the stage.

I also will confess that our God works in mysterious ways. Not to sound to much like that guy who lives in Washington, but you know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

That's where a blast from the last comes in. Someone from my high school days. Back when I was a master debater (read it again) and wore my show choir tuxedo to school more often than not. Back when Brad Stefanov and I used to be best friends and run around in his Cutlass blasting 2 Live Crew through his speakers courtesy of his 8 track to cassette adapter. Great times. Times I don't think of very often anymore.

But this blast from the past, he was probably my biggest nemesis in high school. Not in a bad way. He was not a bad guy. He was just sure of himself and what he was about while I was trying to figure it out. He was (and still is) an amazing artist and excellent vocalist, while I was struggling with finding an identity, something I wouldn't do until I was about 25.

He was cool. I was not. He knew it. I knew it. Everybody knew it.

See what I did there?

As with all people from lifetimes back, we are Facebook friends.And this morning I saw something he posted that hit home for me.

"Tell me something you are proud of"

As I said, I have been struggling. Trying to find up in what feels like and endless hall of downs right now. Trying to find the silver linings, trying to keep my eyes up and my prayers strong. Looking for little things to point me in the right direction and keep my focus.

"Tell me something you are proud of"

It may as well have said count your blessings.

So I did. I commented on his post "my 3 sons and twin grandsons, who amaze me everyday." But I could have written a book.

A ton of things come to mind besides those guys. My awesome, miracle, rock star  of a wife.  Not just recovering but thriving, working at the local pizza joint and educating the young owners on how to be successful at the pizza business. My future daughter-in law Nakisha, who is an incredible Mommy to my Grandpals. My incredible siblings, Angelia and Josh, and where they are in life and their careers and the friendship we have developed.

I am proud of my work, and the company that I have helped build, brick by brick. And even though it is changing, I am proud of my team, at how well they come together, and of the other managers around me. Opportunity is knocking for all of us through the transition, and I am so happy to see them all grow. I am proud of where we have come to get here, and I am proud to be a huge part of it.

I am proud of my church and how it has grown and how you can feel the presence of God in that place. I never thought I would have a church affect me the way my childhood church did. But every time we worship we can feel the holy spirit all around us.. No going through the motions. I am proud of God's house.

There are a million other little things I could mention. But what I am most proud is that I am a Child of God. That I am redeemed. And that, like an old friend, he would send me a message even in the storm.

Count your blessings Slusher.

Funny but quick story, when we were seniors, I gave my old friend a senior picture and wrote on the back:
"Scott,
needless to say...... 
Mike"

It was good for a laugh back in 1991

in 2019....

Needless to say, thank you.... for the reminder.

Life is good. And God is Great.

All the time!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God