Bring the rain, change the bulb

The older I get the more things come full circle, even within my own head. I learn a little everyday, take the new knowledge and combine that with past lessons, good and bad, and move forward.

I have a friend who I have a tremendous amount of respect for. A goofy, zany, off the wall character who has a firm faith, he has been through experiences that you and I could not dream of. Not that I know his story in full, nor is it my place to tell it for him. But he is the kind of guy I can thank for the freedom to write these very words.

Recently, as our paths have crossed, I have been able to tell that something was bothering my friend. I have done my best to offer words of encouragement, even though I have not known the problem. And I have prayed for him to find peace and comfort for whatever the problem may be. Yesterday he told me what the problem was, and I felt for him. Because I have been on both sides of the fence.

Life is fluid. It is about perpetual motion and is a constantly evolving paradigm. Who you know, what you feel, how you think, even the very core of your beliefs can change from one moment to the next. In my own life, I can tell you that I am not proud of some of the moments, stages, and beliefs I have held in the past. Yet I can tell you that all of those led me to the person I am now, who has learned that the troubles of life weigh a lot less when God is carrying them for you. Since I started this blog about 4 years ago, I feel I have grown as a father, and a son, and a brother, and a friend, and a man. I have made mistakes, had epiphanies, been sharp as a knife and dazed and confused. I have known incredible sadness and euphoric jubilation. I have had moments that I never wanted to end, and others that I wanted it all to end. I have lived my life as a reckless bachelor, nearly losing everything, and as a husband and dad, with more to be thankful for than ever before. Here I stand, the same guy I was, a little older, a little wiser, a little grayer, a little more self aware and a lot happier. And that is just the last 4 years of my life. What about yours?

If I would have been thinking faster, I would have told my friend that you probably have changed. And so has life. And so has virtually every other person around you. Experiences and little moments can change everything you know, and everything you feel. The only thing that doesn't change is your heart. And what you know is right.

Instead, I told him to pray. I think that was the right answer after all.

Three years ago today I met my little red headed sweetheart. And I am more thankful for that everyday. In December, however, a light bulb burned out in our house. We thought about tearing the whole thing down. But instead, we just changed the bulb. And everything has been bright ever since.

I hope you understand what I am saying my friend. Bring the Rain. MercyMe. Enough said.

Day # 396. Date night with Tiffany tonight, then hosting my whole family for a party tomorrow. It is good to be me. Even when the light goes out.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God