Waiting for the car to warm up

A few months ago, my boss asked me to place an ad on Craigslist looking for new technicians to join our team. Over the summer, we turned over nearly all of the guys who were engaging in a pattern of negativity that had cast a cloud over our company for months. I sat down, wrote a silly little ad about a crappy job with great pay and posted it online.

The response to the ad was great, as we had 30 or so people reply and tell us it was because the ad caught their eye. Now I will be honest, this is not the first time I put an ad on craigslist that got a lot of buzz. But it was the first time for business,  and I was proud when my boss told me he thought it was great and asked if he could share it with business owners he is affiliated with all over the industry. I said sure and never thought anything more of it.

Some time later he came back to me and told me another gentleman wanted me to write an ad for him. The crappy job ad had been shared and shared again, and had been posted in several other cities all around the country, including this guys. I was a little shocked and told him I should charge for the talent. We both laughed and I told him I would write the new ad. And then we got slammed.

For a month now we have been inundated with new claims. One fire after another, all over the state, and I can barely keep up. Finally, tonight, I finished the ad for this guy (in Cincinnati) and submitted it to him. I hope he is happy with the effort, and, if not, well maybe he should pay better. Which of course got me thinking.

I am still caught up in where I want to be in 20 years. I know, I know, at 40, I should already have it figured out. And for the most part, I think I do. But still, is there such a career as an employment ad writer? I think maybe I will look into it. I also have been wondering what it takes to become a voice talent, like that homeless guy a couple years ago. I can do a lot of different voices, and have always been told I have a face for radio. So maybe I should try that route.

For now, I will still be that fire guy, who likes to help people but is tired of the politics. Maybe someday I will figure out what I want to do when I grow up. But for tonight, it is 9 degrees in Columbus, so I started my car and came back into my office to wait for it to warm up. And these thoughts were rambling around in my head. So I decided to share. Lucky you, huh!

By the way anyone need a crappy job?

Day # 283. My wife and kids are waiting at Bob Evans for me, so time to go. It is good to be me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God