Redeemed

I sit in my office on Monday morning, wondering what the day or week might hold in store here at work. Outside of this place, I have a lot of exciting things happening that could lead to bigger and better things for my sons, my wife, and myself. But here, well this is the week that the other project manager heads off for vacation, leaving me to hold down the fort on both sides of the company.

Last year as he was driving out of town, we received the largest claim in the history of the company when the Staples store in Whitehall, Ohio lost it's roof during a storm. A month later, he had to go to San Antonio for training, and we got nailed with the largest residential claim we had ever experienced while he was away. So with this week upon us once again, I knew I had better take the weekend to relax.

Tiffany and I love having the boys with us. They have come alive and changed so much since the custody switch that they are like different kids. All of them have grown physically and mentally in the last 6 months. Before they had no real ambition to do a whole lot and were very argumentative. Now, we are gearing up for a summer full of karate for Ben, a part time job for John-Michael, and cub scouts for Tanner. Not to mention football camps for all three and conditioning for the older two. What they are doing makes us both proud and exhausted. And while we miss them when they go to their mother's every other weekend, it is a good time for us to take a breath and re-energize ourselves for the next two week sprint.

We got up Saturday morning and, as is typical, checked craigslist for yard sales and flea markets. We headed out and filled the car twice before noon. Christmas and Halloween decorations, nerf footballs and pellet guns, and a ton of other useful things made their way to the garage with each trip. At some point Tiffany said something about us having a problem and we were going to wind up on American Pickers or Hoarders, but I was too busy looking through things to really hear her. We spent the afternoon grocery shopping and settled in for the night with a take out dinner from Subway and a baseball game on TV. Sunday was much of the same, except a couple hour stop at her Aunt Sandy's house to chat before we went to get the boys at 5.

After they arrived back home, Tiffany decided it was time for her to learn to ride a bike. Having avoided it for nearly 40 years, I think she realized that once I teach Tanner, the boys and I were going to be going for rides and she did not want to miss that. As I was showing Tanner how to keep his bike upright and moving, she got on the 40 year old Schwinn we picked up earlier in the day and began riding. Within 5 minutes she had it mastered and soon rode with Ben all the way around the block. I was impressed and amazed. It was just another one of those cool moments we have. One that frames life for you.

I once wrote a blog called A Burlap Sack. It spoke about all these little moments in life that she and I share. As we have grown together, and I have become a better man, I have come to realize that all things happen for a reason, and on God's time table. 40 years she never rode a bike, yet looked like a natural as soon as she sat down. 3 years of thinking every girl was the right girl until he placed her into my life. The same amount of time swearing the boys would be better with me, but letting happen when we were truly ready. It is all part of a plan, it is all grand design. And it excites me.

As we move into this next phase of life, where my best friend and I are standing on the brink of something huge, I know that it is all part of that design as well. I can feel it in my gut and sense it with every move that happens. And, as I often do, I look back to where I have been and find a song that best describes where I have been, and where we are headed. Big Daddy Weave calls it I Am Redeemed. I call it another song on the soundtrack of my life. Enjoy.

Day # 91, Going to be a busy week, but it is good to be me

I Am Redeemed

Seems like all I can see was the struggle
Haunted by ghosts that lived in my past
Bound up in shackles of all my failures
Wondering how long is this gonna last
Then You look at this prisoner and say to me “son
stop fighting a fight that’s already been won”

I am redeemed, You set me free
So I’ll shake off theses heavy chains
Wipe away every stain now I’m not who I used to be
I am redeemed

All my life I have been called unworthy
Named by the voice of my shame and regret
But when I hear You whisper, “Child lift up your head”
I remember oh God, You’re not done with me yet

I don’t have to be the old man inside of me
Cause his day is long dead and gone
I’ve got a new name, a new life I’m not the same

And a hope that will carry me home




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God