The Voice

The corn is cold!

The words echoed though the Howard Johnson's dining room in Newburgh, New York like they were bouncing off the walls in a cathedral. And that poor waitress, tears started to well up in her eyes as this man expressed his displeasure with the temperature of the side dish.

Of course, anyone who knew him knew this was not who he was. Anyone who knew him knew he was the most kind, soft spoken, respectful, and integral man they have ever met. But they all knew - they all know - about the voice.

It was not a shouting, angry, going to rip your throat out kind of voice. But rather, a matter of fact, authoritative, this conversation or argument is over right now, stop you in your tracks (and maybe make you pee your pants a little) kind of voice.

I heard it when my grades dipped. When he caught me playing baseball after brain surgery. When my brother or sister and I were arguing and he said 'ENOUGH". And it was enough.

I remember the first time we heard him use it. October 25, 1986. He and my Mom had been married for 4, almost 5 months. I was half asleep in my bed when I heard him from the den. Using words I did not even know he knew. What he actually said isn't safe for this forum, but it ended with the word Buckner and something about the curse of the Bambino.

A month later the waitress was on the receiving end. But you know, he was immediately sorry. And I bet her tip was not on the lite side that day!

Of course, his legendary Dad voice wasn't the only voice we heard from him. He was the voice of reason when I was at my wit's end. He was the voice of wisdom when it was a facing a major life decision. He was the voice of encouragement when I was in the storm. He was a voice of comfort when my Mother, his soulmate, left us 9 years ago. And he was the voice of Poppa to my sons and to all of his Grandchildren, each of whom would tell you that they were his favorite. Each of them would be right.

On Saturday morning, September 29th, 2018, his voice was silenced. And while I am sure he is now with my Mom and they are celebrating together, that silence is deafening. So many people will miss his words of kindness, of wisdom, of respect, of encouragement, of comfort, and of pride. I am at the top of that list.

Mike,

 (it's funny, we called him Dad to everyone but him. We always called him Mike. He knew why. He understood. And he never asked for more)

Mike,

I want to thank you. In 1986, when you married my Mom, you also chose Ang, Josh, and I to be your kids. I have often wondered what could possibly have made such an intelligent man want to take on a family with so much baggage, but I always refer back to the way you looked at our Mom. Thank you for loving her like that. She deserved that. And she loved you the same way. What an amazing example you set for all of your kids and grandkids to see.

Thank you for teaching me. How to be a man. How to treat people with respect. How to think things through and put myself in someone else's shoes. How to be passionate. How to be a Dad. And now, how to be a Grandpa. Remember when you weren't even sure how you would do with Grandchildren? Yeah, you nailed it.

Thank you for being my Dad. Do you remember the conversation we had a couple of years ago? You, Ang, Josh, and I, in the dining room in Chatham? I meant what I said. You gave any of us the greatest gift we could have asked for. You gave us a Dad. We needed a Dad. And you were a natural.

For everything. Thank you. You are the greatest man I have ever known. And I will miss you more than you can imagine.

Below is my Dad's obituary. Thanks to everyone who has messaged, texted, and called this week. My family appreciates your thoughts and prayers.




Michael David Bromberg, 65, of Bryan, OH, died on Saturday, September 29, 2018 at his home surrounded by his family.

Michael was born on October 12, 1952 in Boston, MA, the son of Newman and Kay (Isgur) Bromberg. He married the love of his life and soulmate, Linda G. Hodge; she preceded him in death on January 5, 2009.

Michael graduated from Canton High School in Canton, MA. He attended American University in Washington, D.C., earning a bachelor’s degree in political science and a master’s degree in public administration. Michael was an avid Democrat and greatly enjoyed politics. He was also a member of the American University Powerball Crew. Michael was the former President of Benedictine University in Springfield, IL, and prior to that was the Vice President of Ohio Dominican University. While there, he founded The Lead Program which has helped thousands of people earn their degrees. He enjoyed baseball and was a dedicated Boston Red Sox fan.

Michael was also preceded in death by his parents.

He is survived by his children, Angelia (David) Foster of Bryan, OH, Michael (Tiffany) Slusher of Cardington, OH, and Joshua (Heather) Bromberg of Bremen, OH; eleven grandchildren, Shelby, Sidney, Sophie, Sanibelle, Davis, John-Michael, Benjamin, Tanner, Jacob, Linda, and Bently; two great-grandchildren, John-Michael and Jerome-Austin; sister, Ann (John) Ewalt of Annapolis, MD; brother, Stewart (John) Bromberg of Boston, MA; father-in-law, George Hodge of Blanchester, OH; and several nieces, nephews, cousins and other extended family members.

Visitation: Family will receive friends from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 4, 2018 at Kirlin-Egan & Butler Funeral Home, 900 S. 6th Street, Springfield. 

Funeral Ceremony: 10:30 a.m. on Friday, October 5, 2018 at Kirlin-Egan & Butler Funeral Home. Burial will follow at Chatham Memorial Cemetery.

Memorial contributions may be made to National Public Radio, 1111 North Capitol Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002 or American Cancer Society, 675 E. Linton, Springfield, IL 62703.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God