Benjamin Jacob Newman Slusher

There is a coffee table in the basement of my sister's house in Bryan, Ohio. It is probably not much different than the coffee table in your basement right now. Round with a dark wood finish, a few dings along the edge, and a couple of drawers for storage. But, like so many of my late mother's belongings, every time I see it I am taken back to another place in time.

2003. Sitting in the brand new den my parents added to their home in Gahanna. My son Ben, one hand on this table, running laps around it.

As fast as he could.

For hours on end.

And that's just who he was (and is) - his own person. He beats to his own drum, knows who he is and what he is all about. Most importantly he knows who he wants to be!

Don't get me wrong, he no longer needs to burn off his energy wearing a path in the carpet around the table. Instead, he is a night owl, who has made friends all over this world with his love of anything super-hero or anime. His room in our basement looks like a Marvel Museum, with more figures than I have Hot Wheels. He has more artistic ability in his pinky finger than most people (including his Dad) have in their whole bodies. And he has got the best hair in the family hands down. His dreams are to live in New York City, work at Marvel, and, maybe go to Comic Con in San Diego next year.

Dear Benjamin Jacob Newman Slusher,

Son I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of the man you have grown into. From your sarcastic and perfectly timed wit to the way paint brushes and pencils in your hands create magic, I am in awe of you. I wish you could see yourself the way I see you, the way the world sees you. Because if you could see how awesome you really are, then that awkwardness might disappear. You are one of my greatest accomplishments. And I cannot wait to see what you do next.

I love being your Dad.
And I love you more than you can ever know.

HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY

Day # 1958. Below I have a few photos of him along with some of his amazing artwork. Enjoy!

It is good to be me!




























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God