Hazy days of winter

Its cold outside in Columbus, Ohio. It has been for weeks, with the local weather man informing us that it has been more than 2 weeks since we last were above freezing. Now, I love a White Christmas as much as anyone, but with then that white fluffy powder that we ooh and ahh over on the 25th becomes a matted, ice covered slip and fall on your backside hazard by the 28th, it makes me long for spring. And it may come sooner than we think, with the weekend warmup that they say is on our way. It would be a nice way to cap off 2010.

Of course, this week has been very different for me the last two years. And from 08 to 09, the difference was night and day. It was during this month 2 years ago that Mom went back into the hospital, never to return home. Within a day or two she had been put into a medically induced coma to see if she would regain any strength and to make her more comfortable. I never heard her voice again. I had made ten or so trips back and forth, including Christmas. The doctors allowed her to be at home for the holiday, and our entire family came for the occasion. It was a great day, and it is very bittersweet to remember her laugh that day, see the photos I took of her and all of the grandkids, and remembering how I was hoping for a miracle so that it wouldn't be her last. And while that prayer wasn't answered, as I said in last night's post, she lives on in the celebrations in the homes of my sister and father, as well as in mine.

Last year, on the other hand, was a different mood entirely. I had been making new memories since my plane touched down in Chicago a week earlier, and during this week I was planning a New Year's Eve party with Bethany. Well not a party, The New Year's Eve Party. We had been planning it since the clock struck 2009, and with only 3 days to go we were making final preparations. An '80's themed party, we had the glove ready for the Michael Jackson trivia game. We had the music all set. Only costumes left to go, so I had to make a trip to Rag O' Rama. If you have never been to that place (in Clintonville) it is like a thrift store for hippies. I loved it. I found a trench coat, scarf, and finger cut gloves, perfect for my Bender from the Breakfast Club look I was going after. Abbi walked out with a really unique shirt and a pair of peace sign ear rings. With the exception of a stop by Meijer on the way to the party, we were now good to go.

This year will be just a little less eventful, I hope. I will be watching the ball drop with the Brady Bunch 6, having my polish sausage and sauerkraut, and heading to bed about 12:05.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God