Don't give up, don't ever give up

If you know me you know I live by a number of creeds. I have blogged about a few before, an certainly will again. Don't give up, don't ever give up is one of them. And it is certainly one that is relevant during this month of December.

I first heard the saying when I read a speech given by Jim Valvano at the ESPY awards in the early nineties. He was receiving the Arthur Ashe award for courage. The head basketball coach at North Carolina State, he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. A few weeks after the presentation he was gone. If you have never read the speech, I highly recommend it. I read it almost daily. Just google Jimmy V Speech.

He said in the speech there are three things we all should do everyday. Three things that make a day fulfilling. We should laugh. We should spend some time in thought. And we should have our emotions move us to tears. Those words speak so loudly to me everyday, but on this day they are like a neon sign flashing in my head. And I did in fact do all three of those things today.

I braved the storm this morning at work. Daniel and I were doing a test run on a few things. He, being from the south, conplained about the weather. I laughed and said welcome to Ohio. A little later I came home and and a strong headache developed. I took a nap and woke up feeling better but I spent some time thinking. Thinking about 24 months ago and the countless hours spent driving to and from my moms, the hospital, and home. A little lost in the my thoughts, I re-read an email from a friend and then Jimmy V's speech. His words always touch me and the combination of the too push my emotions to tears. So as the coach would say, I had a pretty good day, a heck of a day.

At the end of the month another friend is going to go to the doctor to have tests done, as there is a possibility she could have similar issues to my mom and the coach. She said to me a few days ago she almost wishes it was, as life is so difficult now that facing the end might not be so bad. Addressing her, I will say that when you said those words to me they really cut. And I understand that you are in a confusing place in your life and that this is yet another concern. I was taken aback when you said that because you know, more than anyone, the struggle I had watching my mom go through that. But I am your friend so I am trying to be as supportive as possible. I will say to you, please go read that speech. Understand that what we have in front of us everyday is so precious and that life should not be taken for granted. Don't think you are alone. And don't give up, don't ever give up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God