My two cents, Mr. Romney

I very rarely use this blog as any type of political forum, for a couple of different reasons. The first is that I never want to get caught up in the rhetoric and partisanship that drags our country down more and more by the day. And the second is because I am a story teller, and I enjoy journaling my own personal experiences so I can look back over time and see where I came from and where I am headed. Making sure history doesn't repeat itself is a big part of who I am, and spending the time to re-read different posts helps me with that. but today, the blog will be very political, as I feel like no one is pointing out the obvious.

I was never a George W. Bush fan. I feel like his 8 years in office saw this country spiral downward  while he was being less than honest, fumbling for words, and seemingly a little lost in the sauce. The right will tell you it was because of the mess Clinton left. The left will tell you it was because he was furthering his own personal agenda. I think it was because he was just plain old dumb as a post. But in the same breath I will tell you that when he spoke on the evening of 9/11/01, that I had more respect for him in that moment than any other President before or after. Not because he said the right things. but because he did not make any effort to be politically correct. His message was that he was pissed off, and we were coming for those responsible. The look in his eye that night was awe inspiring. And while we can debate all day about how that war actually went, that night and those words are forever etched in all of our minds.

I was, however, a big Dixie Chicks fan. My ex wife and I owned several of their CD's and I had every song they had ever performed in my DJ library. We listened to them all the time, as millions of other people did. However, when they took to the stage in 2003 and pronounced their shame for the President, it changed everything for them. Even for those of us who did not like the President, it was an unforgivable sin. You do not denounce the President while the country is in such an uproar. It was a time to show a united front. As so many others did, I disposed of any music I had of theirs and have not really listened to them since. Their careers took a major hit, and while they have had moderate success in recent years, their stars will never shine as bright as they had before.

Flash forward to this week. Once again the country was put in a position where it needed to show a united front. For our enemies and those who cause us harm, any crack in our armor is another chance to attack. I recently read an article about Beirut in 1980. Presidential candidates Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush threw their support behind President Carter, saying that "now is not the time for partisanship, as we need to stand united".  Apparently this never occurred to Mitt Romney.

While our embassy in Libya was under attack, and our envoy, one of our Navy SEALs, and two others were being murdered in a terrorist attack against our nation, Mr. Romney was blaming President Obama. In a time where past Presidents have taken the opportunity to show that there are no parties, no rhetoric when we are under attack, Mr. Romney went on his own attack in a different way. His actions and words were not in the best interests of the United States, but rather in the best interests of Mitt Romney. There will be a time and place to get to the bottom of this attack, and the attack on other embassies around the world. But that time was not in the middle of the night as American citizens were being murdered. What you have proven to me, and I hope to all of America, Mr. Romney, is that you are the Dixie Chicks of today. You have no sense of doing the right thing at the right time, standing united for your country or having the patience to see where any investigation might lead. All of this while being the candidate for the party that leans more towards the military and a united front. Your actions were a pathetic attempt at party politics while we were under attack, and I hope your star falls farther than those of the girls in that band.

I am no Obama fan either. In fact, I see most politicians about the same. Same issues no matter who is in office. Nothing ever changes. But you, Mr. Romney, have shown me that you are no leader. You have no grasp on what is really going on in the world and how your words or actions may affect others, And you just cast my vote for the President in November. I suspect millions of others feel the same way.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it.................

Day # 529 and it is still good to be me.............

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My son, the Bully

A Roller Coaster of a Christmas Miracle

The Finger of God